You are not logged in.

• Login

mightymouse2045

Unregistered

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 9:51am

Bugs I've noticed that haven't got a mention yet

1. Can't apply poison to weapons

2. No notification of spell effects/enchantments etc under status window. Sure you get an icon on the character portraits, but it doesn't display either in green\red for certain things, like axxeleratus\armor\poisons - beers will display in red when your drunk (so you can workout what's been boosted or negatively affected etc).

3. Iniative-Reihenfolge? (order) not working properly. Characters with high agility/dexterity or whatever you use in game for determining quick reactions to events fight last not first or near first.

4. Certain console/dialogue messages etc like the above not translated properly.

5. Sometimes my Sylvan elf I'm using as a hunter which has high Dex\Agility\Intuition misses a turn in battle and usually is the last to fight.

6. Ranged attacks broken? Damage is rediculously low like 1,2,3 on average. If I try missing everyone elses turn in battle and just using the ranged attack I have to try about 10 times to get a hit at all, and I managed once to get 6LP damage. Also the ranged actions are not animated when it gets a hit alot of the times, and there seems to be times when i can get lots of hits but when i looked in the inventory after the battle I still had 50 arrows.

7. Casting spells like axxeleratus produces weird characters in the console. It makes it difficult to understand the game mechanics that determine damage, effects, etc in battle for working stuff out.
Specifically the last line ZfP (with some sort of x or * subtext char after the P) and no I don't mean the x before the 3 ;)

8. This is more a general bug of the 'clunky' game mechanics:
  • Magical items are not differentiated by icon
  • When purchasing items in the shop you cannot see their function\damage\armor etc before purchasing them
  • There seems a lack of magical items being dropped
  • No recipes and no clues about them or alchemy in general.
  • In the original you could eat certain herbs without using alchemy - you can't in this version
  • There seems to be nothing about identifying items - there are spells that you can do it with, but what if you don't have a spell caster? Also there seem to be no items that require identification in the first place - after playing for 2 days I find that strange?
  • There seems to be interchangeable terms being used for wand and staff - are they the same thing in this game? Because in all my years of RPG they are distinctly different weapons.
  • There is a bug already open for not being able to charge the wand\staff? But what about the druids knife ritual that doesn't appear to be working also.
  • Druids come equipped with wands to begin with - should they not be getting a knife if it's the knife they can do rituals with?
  • Sickles and witche's broom under axe's and mace's? Shouldn't they be under cut and thrust for sickles and spear's for the broom seeing as it's magical?
9. Not sure if this is correct for ranged weapons under talents:

To give a comparison both these have the same number of points but very different % to hit, this is showing 8 attack value (240%) for throwing weapons with 4 points in it:

And this is showing spears with 4 points (3 on attack) with attack value of 10 (50%) to hit:

Thanks for fixing all the other bugs so far, I just haven't gotten around to downloading the latest version yet because i am on a slow internet connection. So these bugs apply for version 1.06 of the game. Not sure if all of them still apply but as I said I haven't noticed any of these being reported so far :)

In addition I know you guys have tried for a faithful recreation of the original game, yet some sort of legend or explanation of what the AG, ZfP, ASP etc acronyms being used throughout the game would be great. Even if it was when hovering over the acronym the full name it stands for would display would be great.

There are already significant changes from the original in certain acronyms and names being used, so I think this is warranted.

One thing I have also noticed are the changes in the game mechanics from the original, redution of negative points, increases in LP, skills etc are quite different, and access to the inventory, actions for items, no right click menu's etc, different poisons, alchemy item names etc

It begs to reason with all these changes why have you kept certain 'clunky' aspects of the original game, like 8 in the above post by way of example? This could be a quite an excellent game if it was more polished and yet still be faithful to the original storyline, maps, quests, characters, names etc.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mightymouse2045" (Aug 8th 2013, 10:45am)

mightymouse2045

Unregistered

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 11:22am

Forgot to add one

Another one I noticed that I'm not sure if it's been reported:

The text after "about 20" should have about another 2 or 3 lines following it, but it gets cut off. This happens for notes, and quests, not sure about recipes because i am yet to find any recipes.

Also noticed Miracle's aren't working - after donating considerable amounts of money and requesting a miracle I've been told everyones dance and seduction has been permanently increased by raja, and another that everyone's charisma has been increased yet no messages in the console window and no skill points had changed

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mightymouse2045" (Aug 8th 2013, 11:42am)

Crosmando

Unregistered

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 12:41pm

Magical items were very rare too in the original though, yes?

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 12:47pm

Thanks for your effort posting the bugs. Some of them already known and in progress.
CraftyRina translated many known bugs in the bug compilation. For example the "eating herb" bug is already in the list.

Regarding to the bugs in the german buglist I can say: It becomes better day by day ^^

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 3:03pm

• Magical items are not differentiated by icon
  • When purchasing items in the shop you cannot see their function\damage\armor etc before purchasing them
  • There seems a lack of magical items being dropped
  • There seems to be nothing about identifying items - there are spells that you can do it with, but what if you don't have a spell caster?
  • There seems to be interchangeable terms being used for wand and staff - are they the same thing in this game? Because in all my years of RPG they are distinctly different weapons.

In Aventuria magic is supposed to be sparse and rare. Unlike modern Hack n' Slash games, you won't find a magically enchanted weapon every two second, but most normal inhabitants of Aventuria never even take a glimpse at magery or enhanced (magically, or mystically alike) items in their lifetime. Kind of a special charm and unique selling proposition in my humble opinion. That said, these items look in no shape or form different from their 'normal' counterparts, which warrants the existence of certain skills and spells that are specifically designed to determine if a weapon has been cursed or enhanced.
A similar aspect and influence from the pen and paper origin is likely the display of statistical values for items. If you enter a shop, you wouldn't tell the shop keeper you wanted a 1W6+2 knife either (least I hope :p ). In a true roleplaying game, your character doesn't share your out of character knowledge. That said, a wiki for the game is planned and should carter for the min-maxers heart and desires. As for lacking a certain talent/spell with your group, yes, RoA is not as forgiving as modern games and yet again that comes with a certain charm and appeal to some like myself. If some things are impossible for some character combinations, then there is an explicit difference and sense to putting some thought into the design. If I know from the very beginning that a mage and a warrior are both the very same with a different skin, it simply loses potential. But that's just my two cents.

When you read wand, it should really be staff. Consider it a flawed translation, because the German term shows less difference. Mages in Aventura use a staff meant for fighting as their arcane instrument, unlike Harry Potter who yields a little wand.

mightymouse2045

Unregistered

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 7:16pm

Magical items were very rare too in the original though, yes?
Yes but that is my point in the last paragraph - sure there is charm in not making it just another modern rpg with a ton of magical items, however I think that a certain amount of variety is a good thing and could add another dimension to this game that is lacking in this version. For another example of lack of variety is the same response in every tavern,bar,shop etc you go to in game. Having a male 'text to speech' read out the same responses gets tiring, even when supposedly a woman comes up to you, you get a mans voice?

Thanks for your effort posting the bugs. Some of them already known and in progress.
CraftyRina translated many known bugs in the bug compilation. For example the "eating herb" bug is already in the list.

Regarding to the bugs in the german buglist I can say: It becomes better day by day ^^
I see that a lot of work is going into the bug fixes which is great, I will hold out till a stable release and download the latest version then.

In Aventuria magic is supposed to be sparse and rare. Unlike modern Hack n' Slash games, you won't find a magically enchanted weapon every two second, but most normal inhabitants of Aventuria never even take a glimpse at magery or enhanced (magically, or mystically alike) items in their lifetime. Kind of a special charm and unique selling proposition in my humble opinion. That said, these items look in no shape or form different from their 'normal' counterparts, which warrants the existence of certain skills and spells that are specifically designed to determine if a weapon has been cursed or enhanced.

While I agree with what you are saying I point you back to my last paragraph - there have been fundamental changes to this game from the original, and that being said, why have certain limitations of the original game been left in place? The first shop I went to I bought 3 different suits of armor and 1 of them was magical. Upon seeing this I assumed that there would be other magical items in the game but as it turns out all items everywhere you go are exactly the same. There are no drops of swords with better stats than the default swords\weapons in the game. Yet as you progress the stats of the sword I first bought have been increasing. While that is a nice feature it would still be nice to see more depth to the game mechanics - for example there are numerous hints from bars that "go to this blacksmith because he is the best" so I traveled (about 20 minutes in real time) to this blacksmith and there was nothing special about him. "Go to this store for the best weapons" again I did and again there was nothing special about it.

Why have clues like that and don't follow up by having weapons or armor or items with either magically enhanced properties, or just better quality iron or steel etc giving enhanced stats?

It would have been nice for this release to build on the original in certain aspects fleshing out the things that weren't added into the original for lack of time\coding experience\inability to include things due to lack of programming advances etc, for what is fundamentally one of the better approaches at bringing RPG's to computers. When this was first released in it's original incarnation it was akin to battlechess on computers where chess came to life - same game but wow it's cool to be able to see the pieces move and smash each other up.

What would have been cool for this release and it might already be being addressed in the patch releases, is to have the same approach as the original but clean the original up, add in some depth that was missing in the original, put in some more items that keep us wanting to go out travelling and getting surprised by bandits because we might end up picking up a sword with +7 attack because it was forged from the finest steel by the finest black smith in all of Aventura!

A similar aspect and influence from the pen and paper origin is likely the display of statistical values for items. If you enter a shop, you wouldn't tell the shop keeper you wanted a 1W6+2 knife either (least I hope :p ). In a true roleplaying game, your character doesn't share your out of character knowledge. That said, a wiki for the game is planned and should carter for the min-maxers heart and desires. As for lacking a certain talent/spell with your group, yes, RoA is not as forgiving as modern games and yet again that comes with a certain charm and appeal to some like myself. If some things are impossible for some character combinations, then there is an explicit difference and sense to putting some thought into the design. If I know from the very beginning that a mage and a warrior are both the very same with a different skin, it simply loses potential. But that's just my two cents.

Yet having the same items everywhere doesn't make it boring for you? As the game is currently I agree 'why have stats showing for weapons, or armor'. No need because you can buy 1 of each and find out then you know that longsword is better than bastard sword, toad skin is better than leather armor etc. No need to apply skills in different areas because all items are the same. If however there were differences in stats of items then it would pay to diversify your skills points because you might end up with an axe that while it has the same base damage stats as the sword, it's also got a +4 AT modifier coz it's mithril n was made by the dwarves! But 'oops I've put all my skill points in swords, gonna have to keep leveling up and add some more points in my axe and mace skills'.

When you read wand, it should really be staff. Consider it a flawed translation, because the German term shows less difference. Mages in Aventura use a staff meant for fighting as their arcane instrument, unlike Harry Potter who yields a little wand.

I thought that might have been the case - lost in translation :P But where are the staves to be purchased? a battle staff that's non magical and cant be made into a magical item? So yes it's a little harry potter wand instead ;)